The Abdin Palace
The Abdin Palace, once open to the public but now housing goverment offices, is a vast complex on the outskirts of the old city of Cairo.
The original construction was ordered by Ismail who wanted to move his government outside of the confines of the Citadel. The original building was of wood, designed by two French engineers, De Curel and Rousseau, but lasted for only ten years prior to being destroyed by fire.
The Palace was rebuilt several times, only to go up in flames again, until it was finally rebuilt of stone by the well known architect, Antoine Lasciac, between 1909 and 1911. It also served as the main residence of Muhammad Ali and his family. There were various alterations made during the 1930s by Verrucci, including a luxurious Byzantine throne room.