Kellia Hermitages near Wadi Natrun, Egypt

The Kellia Hermitages

This community, discovered in 1964 by Guillaumont, was founded by St. Amun. It consists of 1500 cells which are arranged in five clusters over a distance of 18 kilometers. The hermitages are situated in the area between Nitria and Wadi Natrun. The area was abandoned in the 9th century.

See our Feature article on the Kellia Hermitages