Sabil-Kuttab of Abd El-Rahman Katkhuda

Sabil-Kuttab of Abd El-Rahman Katkhuda

Rich patrons during the Ottoman period often built fountains with Koranic schools above the fountain. Katkhuda's fountain-school was built in 1744 and is located at the corner at the fork in the street past Qasr Bashtak. There are realistic floral patterns between the arches that are from Mongol models. Mamluk influences can be seen in the window arches, the stalactite cornice and the corner columns. The lower floor has Syrian tiles that form a picture of the Kabah at Mecca. The fountain has been closed by the modern municipal water system, but the school had been used until recently. The fountain once had a cistern that supplied water to a trough for the people.