Picture of the Day
JE 38574 Cairo Antiquities Museum
Materials: Painted Limestone
Size: Height 225 cm; Width 157 cm' Depth 404 cm
Location: Deir el-Bahri
Period: 18th Dynasty, Reign of Tuthmosis III (1479-1425 BC)
This is a small Hathoric chapel constructed by Tuthmosis III and now housed in the Egyptian Antiquity Museum in Cairo. It originally resided between the temple of Mentuhotep II and the temple of Hatshepsut at Deir el-Bahari. It was possibly intended as a replacement for the sanctuary dedicated to the Hathor located in the complex of the queen.