The Harem Palace
The Harem Palace was built in 1827 and reflects the Levantine style of Mohammed Ali. It was the residence of the royal family until 1874 when the government seat was moved to Abdin Palace. The palace consists of three wings and was used as a military hospital in the time of the British occupation. It was converted into a museum in 1946 and showed the military history of Egypt. Visitors may see the former alabaster-covered hammam and in the left wing, the exit leads into a courtyard where a statue of Colonel de Seves. The tomb of Sheikh Mohammed el-Kahaki stands on the right in between the palace and the Suleyman Pasha. This tomb dates from the 16th century. On the left is part of a wall that was built by Salah ad-Din.