The Musafirkhana Palace
The Musafirkhana Palace was built between 1779 and 1788 in Ottoman style and was the birthplace of the khedive Ismail in 1830. Muhammad Ali bought the palace in the early 19th century to use as a guesthouse. Today, it is used as workshops and housing for artists, and particularly sculptors' studios. The design of the structure is similar to Bayt Suhaymi, but on a more grand scale. Within is a courtyard and as one enters, to the left is a well and saqiya, which was once powered by donkeys. In the main hall with its carved ceiling, there is an inlaid fountain. Many of the rooms are richly decorated with mashribiyya throughout. The second floor haramlik is particularly fine, with marbled panels and a bath with insets of colored glass.