1 cup jasmine rice
1 cup dried lentil
1/2 cup olive oil
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon cumin (or more to taste; I prefer more)
2 teaspoons salt
black pepper (I like lots!)
1. Soak lentils in water for 3 hours; drain.
2. Soak rice in water for 1/2 hour; drain.
3. Saute onions in a large skillet for about 15 minutes, or until very brown and crisp.
4. Remove onions to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
5. Turn heat to medium-high and add lentils and rice to skillet; saute quickly in the browned-onion-flavored oil, adding cumin, salt and pepper.
6. Add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil.
7. Cover very tightly and then cook on very low heat for about 20 to 25 minutes.
8. To serve, fluff up rice and lentils and top with the crispy browned onions.
Last Updated: June 6th, 2011