* 2 (19 ounce) cans fava beans (use fresh if you have them, take off the pods and boil them until tender, cool and then slip off the)
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 3 large onions, chopped
* 5 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 tablespoons hot red pepper flakes
* 1/4 cup tomato sauce
* 3/4 cup hot water
* 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
* salt and pepper
* 2 tablepoons Hungarian paprika
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan& over medium heat saute the onions& garlic until golden.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients except the beans.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes (add a bit more water if it reduces too much- the sauce should have some liquid to it).
4. Gently stir in the fava beans and let stand for a few minutes so the beans absorb some of the flavor from the sauce.
Last Updated: June 6th, 2011