2 ounces rice vermicelli
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
12 ounces shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
3 tablespoons cilantro
1/2 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons Italian parsley
2 teaspoons salt, to taste
phyllo pastry sheets to wrap the filling in.
1. Cover the vermicelli with hot water and soak for about 15 minutes.
2. Drain the noodles and then chop finely.
3. Set aside.
4. Heat the oil and add the onion and shrimp.
5. Cook until the shrimp turns pink, stirring occasionally.
6. Remove from heat, chop the shrimp and combine the shrimp/onion mixture with the herbs and spices.
7. Put the mixtures in the wrapper and roll up like an eggroll.
8. Or, if you prefer, fold the wrappers into triangle shapes.
9. Brush the edges with some beaten egg yolk to seal.
10. Fry in hot vegetable oil until golden.
11. You can freeze uncooked briwats until ready to use.
12. Just be sure to let them thaw slightly to avoid splattering in the hot oil.
13. Serve with a squeeze of lemon or harissa, if desired.
Last Updated: June 6th, 2011