Serves four. The North African seasoning give this old standby a delightful change.
2 1/2 cups chopped onions
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups diced potatoes
5 cups chopped cauliflower
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground fennel
4 cups hot water
2 vegetable bouillon cube
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
salt & freshly ground black pepper
chopped tomatoes and chives
1. In a large Dutch oven or saucepan, saute onions in vegetable oil for 5 to 10 minutes, or until translucent.
2. Add the potatoes, cumin, and fennel; cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the hot water; cover, turn up the heat and bring to a boil.
4. Add the cauliflower and bouillon cubes and return to a boil.
5. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until the vetetables are tender.
6. In a blender, puree and vegetable/broth mixture until smooth.
7. Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste.
8. Reheat the soup, being careful not to scorch it.
9. Serve warm; garnish with chopped tomatoes and chives.
Last Updated: June 7th, 2011