375 ml lentils, soaked overnight
60 g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
100 g chopped hazelnuts
10 ml mild mustard, prepared
2 ml freshly ground black pepper
30 ml olive oil
2 carrots, grated
2 egg whites
6-8 slices feta cheese
2 tomatoes, ripe and sliced
30 ml freshly chopped parsley
5 ml chopped fresh basil
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Cook lentils for 30 minutes in water until tender.
3. Drain and mix with the breadcrumbs, hazelnuts, mustard, salt and pepper.
4. Heat 15 ml oil in a frying pan and saut leeks and carrots until tender.
5. Add to lentil mixture.
6. Stir in the egg whites.
7. Place into an ovenware dish, finishing with a layer of feta cheese.
8. Arrange the tomato slices on top and sprinkle the remaining oil over them.
9. Sprinkle the parsley and basil on top.
10. Cover and bake for 15-20 minutes in preheated oven.
11. Remove lid and bake for a further 3-8 minutes .
Last Updated: June 7th, 2011