The As-Salih Talai Mosque
The As-Salih Talai Mosque was built in 1160 by the emir As-Salih Talai who was vizier to the last of the Fatimid caliphs. There are five Persian arches within the freestone facade, which are concealed from the street by mashrabiya panels. These were added about the same time as the minbar inside. Around the interior courtyard the columns supporting the arches of the porticos are surmounted by ancient capitals. In the upper wall of the qibla wall are windows decorated with stained glass and stuccowork. The minbar dates to 1300 and is engraved with star motifs. Of interest are the shops of the building which are today, below ground but were at street level when the mosque was built.